Our mission is to advance policing through innovation and science. Fundamental to our mission’s success is respect for and dedication to law enforcement — America’s most noble profession.
Although we express our appreciation for law enforcement officers each and every day through our work, including officer safety and wellness initiatives, research translation that brings the power of science to policing strategies, and through the identification of innovative technologies and approaches, a special day of thanks and recognition is clearly warranted.
On January 9, we will proudly stand beside those in our communities to pay tribute to our nation’s law enforcement officers — for their sacrifice, bravery, and commitment to protecting others. We especially would like to honor those officers and their families who have made the ultimate sacrifice, including the 148 officers who died in the line of duty in 2018.
Below are some of the ways NPF, other organizations, and community members can show support on National L.E.A.D. January 9:
- Change your profile picture on social media to the .jpg image provided at www.facebook.com/nationalcops.
- Wear blue clothing in support of law enforcement.
- Send a card of support to your local police department or state agency.
- Share a story about a positive law enforcement experience on social media.
- Ask children in your community to write letters in support of law enforcement.
- Participate in Project Blue Light – Proudly display your blue light in support of law enforcement.
- Organize an event or a rally in support of your law enforcement officers.
- Advertise your support through local media outlets/billboards.
- Post the public service announcement supplied by C.O.P.S. to your organization’s web page or social media pages
- Most importantly, if you see a police officer, thank a police officer.